Monday, December 15, 2008

So much to do, so little time to do it


This week, Mike and I decided we're sick of being so busy, probably because this last week was especially bad; as usual, we got home late from work each night (7:30ish), then had other commitments to attend after getting home - this was the case every single night last week! And the weekend was just as busy. I must say though that the highlight of our week was a group date on Friday night, 8 of us (my Primary Presidency) met for dinner here, then came back to our house for games (Ultimate Outburst and House of Fire) and dessert (chocolate molten cakes with vanilla ice cream). Even though we would have welcomed a quiet night at home, we had so much fun, and can't wait to do it again!

This is how the rest of our weekend shaped up. Saturday: Tithing settlement at 8am (and Mike had to be there the rest of the day due to his calling), dry cleaner, and errands by 9am, had a baptism to attend at 10:30, made a batch of Christmas cookies to take to a party at noon, went to the party, did chores, had a friend do my hair for another party that night, then attended the party (which was at the Wynn and was lovely. I wore the black satin pencil skirt, a black velvet and satin top, diamond earrings, and had the best looking evening bag thanks to Kimberly). Didn't even have enough time to make this week's menu or do grocery shopping - yikes! And Sundays, well, with callings and church responsibilities, Sundays are anything but relaxing for us. We leave the house at about 8:20am because I have to play the organ. I also had sharing time Sunday. Mike ends up subbing in Primary each week, then doesn't get home until about 3:30pm due to counting tithing. We have a bite to eat and try to get organized for the week ahead. Yesterday, from the time we got home from church until about midnight, we were trying to get ourselves together before the week began, and it doesn't look like this week will be much better. To add to the stress I've received a subpoena to testify in an ugly court case Friday, and have some difficult decisions to make about my career, as I have an opportunity to be part of some very exciting work here.

When you try to make meals, take care of household duties, and run errands on top of all this, it makes for very little sleep and no free time. What's sad is that we haven't had time to enjoy the Holiday Season at all so far - no time to play Christmas music, do our shopping, bake goodies, put up Christmas lights, nothing. Seems like the holidays came so quickly this year. Maybe the 'Powers that Be' knew Mike and I could use a little Christmas cheer because it has been SNOWING all day so far here in Las Vegas, yes, that's right, it's snowing in Las Vegas. Look closely at the pictures above, they're taken right by our house - you can see the snow on the hills. Don't even want to think about how cold it must be every where else! Hope you've had some time to slow down and enjoy the season. We can't wait for a few days off over Christmas and for a little R&R.

3 comments:

kate said...

oh my gosh, you guys sound crazy busy!! so, what would you do for work with that one company?? good luck testifying, whenever i had to testify, it always made me really think about what i really felt strongly enough about to put on the record! so, i'm not coming to vegas. i'm going to run a marathon here instead since my brother bailed on me, i didn't want to travel and go do that one by myself...but i definitely want to see you sometime when you're not so busy...what're you doing for the holidays? going anywhere?

Amanda Tippetts said...

Only you could do it, Jen! I hope things do slow down and you get a break... I play the organ here, but luckily, I am not also the Primary President and I don't work full time! You are super woman.

Mike and Jenny said...

We miss you Amanda - day 2 of snow in Vegas, can you believe it?!